New Town's CISCO program will be a part of the IB's Career-related Programme.

New Town High School to establish International Baccalaureate program after Baltimore County Public Schools awarded federal grant

February 23, 2019

Owings Mills, Maryland. Titan News Service April 22, 2018.

Funds from a federal grant recently awarded to Baltimore County Public Schools will enable the establishment of International Baccalaureate Middle Years, Diploma and Career Programmes at New Town High School. “International Baccalaureate offers rigorous instruction that develops the whole child. An IB student will develop skills to prepare and compete internationally in the workforce or college/university platform,” said Mr. James Martin, acting principal of New Town High School. The overall grant’s purpose is to develop five new magnet programs and to significantly revise one existing magnet program. One hundred percent of the program costs are provided by the U.S. Department of Education as part of a five (5) year, $15-million Magnet School Assistance Program (MSAP) grant award. “Team BCPS is thrilled for the opportunity to grow exciting new programs in health science and international studies that will increase accessibility to so many students, and engage all stakeholders in new and unique ways,” said Corri Roche, BCPS Supervisor of the MSAP grant. “Our magnet program allows students the freedom to choose the best college or career pathway which will expose them to numerous opportunities, including internships, STEM courses, and college prep programs,” said Ms. Chanell Johnson, New Town High School’s magnet coordinator. Stakeholders, parents, community members and business partners, will be provided an overview of the program at New Town’s annual business part
ners’ luncheon scheduled for June 7 in the school’s media center. Stakeholders interested in serving on the school’s Magnet Advisory Board are welcome to attend and express interest in serving on the board. During the first two years of the program (Oct. 2017 to October 2019), New Town High School anticipates beginning in International Baccalaureate (IB) candidacy, followed by full authorization as an IB World School. International Baccalaureate programs introduce a global perspective to instruction across the subject areas with a focus on hands-on, project-based learning experiences that support future-ready skills and knowledge. “IB gives all stakeholders an opportunity to view and learn instruction from a global aspect. It joins all stakeholders together and builds a respect for differences among people of the world,” said Mr. Martin, New Town High School acting principal.
“New Town students will have opportunities to work with other students at other schools on a global level.  Students will have access to technology and curriculum that will enhance their high school academic program,” said Johnson New Town High School’s magnet coordinator. Freshmen and sophomores will focus on becoming global citizens. Real-world, hands-on experiences will be a hallmark of the program. Students will also have to complete a personal research project. “Students will study language, social studies, science, mathematics, arts, physical and health education, and design (technology) as interdisciplinary subjects,” said Ms. Johnson New Town High School’s magnet coordinator. Students in an IB school, in Grades 11 and 12, participate in either the Diploma Programme (DP) or the Careers Programme (CP). Upon completion of the required coursework, and extend
ed essay, and a 200-hour service learning projects, students take a set of IB external assessments to earn an IB diploma. Students have an opportunity, by earning an ID Diploma and/or taking Diploma level courses, to earn college credits at the high school level. The grant has provisions that will allow for the establishment of a makerspace within the school and an upgrade of the school’s television production facilities. “Students will be well rounded, academically driven and motivated to succeed.  We are very excited about the opportunity to prepare our students for life after high school.  Our students will be college and career ready,” said Johnson New Town High School’s magnet coordinator. As part of the grant, three magnet programs on the west side of the county, including New Town, will create a K-12 International Baccalaureate (IB) magnet pathway with a thematic focus on global studies. Two programs on the east side of the county will create a Health Science pathway for Grades 6-12. One additional east side program will create an IB pathway for Grades 6-12 leading into the existing IB program at Kenwood High School. BCPS is one of 32 school systems to receive this competitive award from the Magnet Schools Assistance Program, part of the U.S. Department of Education. The Magnet Schools Assistance Program provides grants to eligible local educational agencies to establish and operate magnet schools. For more information about New Town’s program, contact Chanell Johnson, 410-887-1614 or via email [email protected]
Mr. James Martin, principal of New Town High School.
Mrs. Johnson, Magnet Coordinator, working with a New Town High School student incorporate technology in a project