NTHS Students Compete in National FBLA Competition

Owings Mills, Maryland. Titan News Service April 22, 2018 Two New Town High School students will compete at the National Future Business Leaders of America-Phi Beta Lambda, Inc (FBLA-PBL) Leadership Conference which will be held this summer in Baltimore, June 28–July 1, 2018
Mr. Jackson, New Town CISCO instructor said, “The students did very well….. It was exciting to see all their faces when their names w[ere] called….”
Nathan Wong, New Town junior, placed second in the Computer Problem Solving event out of the top ten competitors in the state. Kelechi Uradu, New Town junior, placed third in Networking Design, out of the top ten students in the state. Ben Justice, junior, placed sixth in the Cyber Security event and third in the Computer Operating event.
“When Nathan and Kelechi placed in the top 4 in their event,” Mr. Jackson said, “I was happy for them. It was a great day to be a Titan.”
Students across the state competed at the State Leadership Conference in March in events testing their business knowledge and skills. There are over 60 different competitive events ranging from Digital Video Production and Word Processing to Accounting and Sports Management. Top state winners are eligible to compete for national awards at the National Leadership Conference each summer.
“The students used their knowledge from their Cisco classes and prior computer knowledge to prepare for their events,” said Mr. Jackson, when asked how students prepared for the competition. “I had the students create a study plan. I built time into their class time to practice for their event. I assisted them with direction and ideas where they could access information related to their event.  MD-FBLA also provide prep material.”
Each student had to take an objective online test to begin the year’s competition process in order to place at the Regional Leadership conference. All three students placed in the top five at the regional competition which qualified them to attend the FBLA State Leadership Conference which was held in Hunt Valley.
Mr. Jackson said, “Now, on to FBLA Nationals!”
New Town’s FBLA chapter was also recognized as the Maryland chapter with the largest growth. “We went from 12 members to 72 members in one year,” said Mr. Jackson.
FBLA is the largest career student business organization in the world. The mission of the organization is to bring business and education together in a positive working relationship through innovative leadership and career development programs.
Future Business Leaders of America-Phi Beta Lambda is the premier student-to-student business association. According to its website, each year, FBLA-PBL helps over 230,000 members prepare for careers in business.